Sports Therapy Treatments
My Sports Therapy Treatments include Deep tissue/sports massage. This is an individually tailored form of soft tissue massage that uses specific techniques to treat the stress, tension and fatigue that occur through occupational, recreational or sporting activities.
Sports massage – building strength & flexibility
This is an interactive session, where sports massage therapist and client work together, rather than the more restful Swedish massage. The two types of treatment can be combined however to:
- relax hypertonic muscles,
- remove fibrous adhesions,
- improve flexibility
- relieve pain
- build a programme of action to strengthen weak muscles and look at postural and muscle imbalances.
A treatment to benefit all
Massage is used by athletes before and after training and competition and during rehabilitation. However, many people appreciate the deep treatment offered by a sports massage therapist as they can really feel those knots in muscles being ironed out. From the DIY fanatic, busy housewife, gardener or stressed office worker, anyone can benefit.
General massage techniques will help you relax or tone up, but, when necessary, they can also combined with more intense trigger point therapies. These can include Neuromuscular Technique (NMT), Soft Tissue Release (STR) and Muscle Energy Technique (MET) used for stretching. Other Sports Therapy Treatments like Cross-Friction can break down fibrous adhesions which can free up muscles to help you regain flexibility and move more freely.
Increased flexibility and mobility
After a deep tissue massage you should feel more flexible and limber.
You may also feel a bit tired or have some post-treatment soreness but this will normally disappear after a day. Don’t worry about this as it is usually a sign that the treatment is having a positive effect and you should feel energised, while retaining the increased mobility for some time afterward.
With a regular course of deep tissue/sports massage you should feel more flexible and less prone to injury in your active life.
Types of Sports Therapy Treatments
- Sports and Remedial Massage
- Effleurage, Petrissage, Tapotement and Frictions
- Superficial and deep massage techniques
- Medical Acupuncture (Dry Needling)
- Myofascial Release
- Microcurrent Electrical Therapy
- Deep Oscillation Electrostatic Field Therapy
- Cranial Electrotherpy Stimulation
- Soft Tissue Release & Mobilisation
- Muscle Energy Techniques
- Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation
- Passive Stretch and Friction
- Trigger Point Therapy
- Neuromuscular and Positional Release
- Therapeutic Ultrasound
- Cryotherapy and Thermal Therapy
- Kinesio Taping
- Strapping for sprains and strains
- Peripheral Joint Mobilisations
- Active and Passive Stretching
Massage, Physical Therapy & Sports Therapy can help alleviate symptoms of :
- Neck Pain / Headaches
- Rounded Shoulders
- Forward Head Posture
- Shoulder Joint Pain
- Frozen Shoulder
- “Dowagers Hump” fibrous tissue
- Thoracic Kyphotic Posture
- Lumbar Lordotic Posture
- Scoliotic Spinal Curvature
- Pelvic Tilt Dysfunctions
- Tight Hip Flexors
- Sciatic Nerve Pain (piriformis)
- Tennis Elbow
- Golfers Elbow
- Knee Pain (normally caused by muscle tightness / adhesions)
- Ankle Sprains & weakness
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Muscle Strains & Tightness (Quads, Hamstrings, Calves)
- Muscle Adhesions and Pain
- Achilles Tendonitis
I received treatment from Richard for plantar fasciitis - he is professional, informative & very friendly. He also followed up my treatment with self help exercises. Thanks to Richard I'm now pain free!!
A fantastic and professional service which correctly diagnosed and treated my shoulder and neck discomfort. Richard also advised certain post treatment exercises to prevent the problem recurring.
Very professional, knowledgeable and thorough, I have been using Achilles Healers Sports Therapy to fix a sprained foot, and excellent results so far. I would highly recommend to anyone needing any niggles or injuries sorted!
Professional and cheery throughout both sessions, helped alot with my leg pain and would highly recommend him to anyone with the same problem
A very professional service, from online booking through to aftercare, Richard certainly knows his stuff. He is very thorough in assessing the whole body, not just your injury. His aftercare advice is also excellent. Highly recommended.
I went to Richard for shoulder and back pain and he worked wonders! Brilliant treatment and he also gave me some stretches to do at home which have been working well in between treatments, thank you!
I constantly struggle with neck and back pain and have been thrilled by the level of treatment I have received. Even when I go away, I have received information on how to self treat in between treatments.